Advice and support to eat well, be active and live tobacco free is at your fingertips! Phone lines such as Healthlink BC, QuitNow BC and the Physical Activity Line give you FREE access to qualified professionals who can help you make healthy lifestyle changes. In addition to phone support, these phone lines also provide websites filled with resources and tools.
Dietitian Services with Healthlink BC
Free Healthy Eating Advice from a Registered Dietitian
Did you know that you can call a Registered Dietitian for free? Dietitian Services with HealthlinkBC (Formerly known as Dial-a-Dietitian) provides nutrition information for British Columbians simply by calling 8-1-1 and asking to speak to a Registered Dietitian. Whether you have a food allergy, are planning to start a family or have been newly diagnosed with diabetes the HealthlinkBC Dietitians can provide advice to anyone and everyone!
- To speak with a Registered Dietitian anywhere in BC call 8-1-1
- TTY (Deaf and hearing-impaired) call 7-1-1
- Interpreter services are available in over 130 languages upon request
Get answers to your health and medication questions
British Columbians have trusted health information at their fingertips with just a phone call or a click away with HealthLink BC. Just three numbers - 8-1-1 - on the phone or online at www.HealthLinkBC.ca provides easy access to non-emergency health information and services.
Here are some examples of how you can use 8-1-1:
- Speak with a nurse about your symptoms if you are not feeling well and you aren’t sure whether to go to your doctor.
- Consult with a pharmacist about a your medications such as common side effects or drug interactions.
- Get healthy eating advice from a dietitian (See Dietitian Services at Healthlink BC above)
Any time of the day or night, every day of the year, HealthLink BC is as close as your phone or the web 24/7. Translation services are available in over 130 languages on request. For deaf and hearing-impaired assistance (TTY), call 7-1-1.
The Physical Activity Line
Take the first step to many more
You want to be more active, but maybe you aren't sure where to start or how much physical activity you need to reach your goals. Before spending your hard earned money on exercise equipment or gym passes call the Physical Activity Line (PAL) to talk to a qualifed exercise professional. The Physical Activity Line staff can help you refine your goals, come up with a game plan and determine what types of activities will benefit you the most. Contact PAL at 1-877-725-1149.
Here are just some of the serivces offered by the PAL
- Providing guidance to help you become more physically active, overcome your barriers and stay motivated
- Educating you with the most up to date, trusted physical activity and health information
- Connecting you with health professionals and community health and fitness programs
In addition to their telephone services the PAL also has a website, www.physicalactivityline.com, full of physical activity fact sheets, such as...
- Barriers to Physical Activity
- Choosing a Qualified Exercise Professional
- Goal Setting
- Recommended Activties for Older Adults
- How to Stay Active
Get support to quit smoking
Did you know that free help to develop a quit plan, deal with cravings and tricky situations is available around the clock? Quitnow’s Care Coaches are trained to do just that whenever you decide to quit or if you have already quit and feel you might slip.
Care Coaches are available to help people who are calling for a whole variety of reasons, including:
- A smoker who wants to quit today
- A special program for someone who’s already quit but needs more support
- A panic caller who has already quit but is feeling like they might have a cigarette
- Someone who is considering quitting smoking but just wants general information on quitting, or information on how to support a friend or family member to quit.
In addition to the phone service, QuitNow also hosts an online internet-based quit smoking service, available free-of-charge for all British Columbians. Once you register for the online community you will find expert advice, online peer support, quitting strategies, email reminders and more.
Patient Voices Network - Peer Coaching
Working on a health goal? A peer coach can help you!
Making healthy living changes - like reaching a healthy weight, quitting smoking, or becoming more active - can seem overwhelming. Motivation combined with planning and support can make a huge difference in meeting your goals. If you are looking for a little help, consider a peer coach through the Patient Voices Network.
The peer coaching program provides FREE, confidential, one-on-one, telephone-based motivational coaching sessions. This will help you set and achieve healthy living changes like exercising more, eating healthy, becoming smoke free or losing a few pounds. In total, there are six telephone sessions at scheduled times that are convenient to both you and your coach.
Who are the coaches?
A peer coach is an individual who can relate to you because they "have been in your shoes" while making their own healthy living changes. Coaches are volunteers who have been through comprehensive skill development and training through the Patient Voices Network, and are looking to give back by helping others.